Position is refer to a place where something or someone is located. Knowledge about positional words enhances kids’ ability to give and follow directions. Using terms like up, down, left, and right help children to remember their directions.
UP (meaning): In the higher position than something.
DOWN (meaning): In the lower position than something.
LEFT (meaning): on or towards the side of the west.
RIGHT (meaning): on or towards the side of the east.
WHERE is used when referring to a place or location.
- Where am I?
- Where should I go?
- Where is the library?
- Where is the bottle?
- Read stories to children that involve directional terms.
- Sing songs with them that include directional terms.
- Using objects such as a stuff animal or doll, help your child grasp these words by putting them in various positions.
- Point out items throughout your home. For example, the cup is on the table.
- Playing hide-and-seek and learn positional words. Children can hide under a table, behind a curtain or next to the piano.